Foothill seniors compete for bragging rights at flag football game (39 photos, video)

Seniors Xander Rockney-Finger and Spencer Davis go head to head in the senior class football game Friday night. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

The crowd watched intently as 21 seniors dressed in spandex, sweatbands, and personalized uniforms battled it out Friday night at Buena stadium during Foothill’s first senior class flag football game.

The teams’ uniforms were only part of the fun for the players who used the game as an opportunity to bond with their classmates in a more playful and less academic environment.

“There aren’t that many events outside of school that get the senior class together,” ASB president Riki Schmitt said. “The senior class officers did a great job of targeting different groups and getting a lot of different people involved.”

Senior John Sheehy chose to participate for memories’ sake.

“It’s senior year, a time to do crazy things with your friends, so I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity and regret it when I am fifty,” he said.

Senior class president Trevor Kirby was motivated to plan the event after he was approached by several senior boys who came up with the idea.

“It’s not a duty of the senior class officers to plan this, but they [the senior boys] really wanted it to happen and I think it is a great opportunity for students to showcase their talents,” he said.

The tournament was composed of two preliminary games where three teams of Foothill seniors competed. The winners of the two games went on to compete in the Senior Bowl.

After twisting his ankle, Kekoa Barrios had to sit out while his team progressed to the Bowl.

“I’m a little disappointed, but I trust these kids will pull through,” he said.

Senior Joe Spota was confident going into the game.

“I feel strong, determined, ready for slaughter,” he said.

Senior Tianna Cohen sang the national anthem to kick off the Senior Bowl and give the aura of a football championship, and senior Taylor Kennepohl performed at halftime.

“I was a little nervous because I just learned the song last night, but I think it turned out alright,” Kennepohl said. Seniors Greg Oyan and Xander Rockney-Finger reach for the ball in the final play of the first half of the senior class flag football game. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

The game was announced by Foothill assistant principal Carlos Cohen and senior Kevin Kunes, and the night received a positive reaction from many spectators.

“I think it is fabulous and the announcers are hysterical,” said Foothill parent Eileen Riddle. “I just heard my son and his friend saying ‘let’s do this when we’re seniors,’ so I think they did a great job.”

“It is very exciting and the big lights make it all the more real,” senior Hannah Alday said. “And now if any of these boys make it to the NFL, I can say I saw them play football in high school.”

Foothill alumnus Bill Grundler said he is jealous that his class was not the first to have a flag football tournament.

“It would’ve been really cool. I knew athletes who felt alienated at Foothill, so we missed out,” he said.

Regardless of the final score, all of the players in the Senior Bowl took home a medal as a reward.

Physical education and math teacher Bill Huffman helped referee and appreciated the playful nature of the event and good sportsmanship.

“I love running around like a mad man… there is fierce competition, but also a sense of camaraderie,” he said.

In the end, one team took home the title and bragging rights. Seniors Kekoa Barrios, Spencer Davis, Trevor Jordan, Joseph Malach, Greg Oyan, Jon Oyan, Andrew Pecoraro, and Kevin Zablocki formed the winning team.

Although he was upset by his team’s loss, senior Luke Hart was not let down by the final result.

“We beat them by a hundred points in spirit,” he said.

“The best part about winning the game was just the fun vibes it gave off, the whole thing was an overall good experience, win or lose, and I’m sure everyone had fun regardless,” said Malach.

Credit: Aysen Tan, Jackson Tovar, and Maddy Schmitt/The Foothill Dragon Press

Credit: Jackson Tovar/The Foothill Dragon Press