“The Artist” a black and white beauty

“The Artist” was released in the United States on Nov. 25. Credit: Warner Bros.

I was at the Downtown theatre and the trailers preceding “The Artist” had just ended. The theatre was completely silent as the credits began and I chewed my popcorn with exaggerated slowness, not wanting to be too loud or disruptive.

For those of you who haven’t heard, “The Artist” is a black and white silent film that premiered on May 15 at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival but arrived at Ventura theaters in late December. It transports the viewer back to the origins of the film industry, where “talkies” are a faraway dream and color pictures aren’t even imagined. Instead, the message of the movie was communicated through animated gestures and facial expressions.

That isn’t so for “The Artist,” though. The symbolism in the shots, the subtlety of the actors and the wonderfully crafted soundtrack collectively work to perfect the modern silent film.

Some may wonder why director Michel Hazanaviciuseven chose to make a silent black and white film when people like James Cameron are making huge strides in the computer graphics field, but make no mistake, “The Artist” is not a dated piece. It isn’t just a love story set in the ‘20s, but the story of two actors – one older silent film star, George Valentin (played by Jean Dujardin), and one hot, young starlet, Peppy Miller ( played by Bérénice Bejo) – responding to the arrival of sound in the film industry.

Although “The Artist” is a silent film, Hazanvicius plays with the usage of sound and perception throughout the movie. This shouldn’t be surprising, since so many rules of modern film were already broken in this production, but nonetheless, “The Artist” will make you gasp. It’s breathtakingly beautiful and masterfully fashioned. By the end of the film, you may find yourself wondering why more movies aren’t made in black and white, but don’t be fooled- “The Artist” is a one-of-a-kind gem.