• An enormous, eye-catching paper mache octopus is situated at the start of the ArtWalk exhibition on Main St., Ventura, greeting attendees as they enter the event. Inspired by Ventura’s natural environment, this work of art highlights the abundance of sea creatures that call our oceans home.

Features

ArtWalk: Showcasing Ventura’s creative crowd

• As students start to settle into the new school year, exciting activities planned in the quad help keep the morale high. Foothill Techs sports teams have started to pick up speed and students are now settling into their classes.

FDP-TV

FDP-TV: Season 2, Episode 3

• A scenario thats unfortunately all too common in modern gaming is a videogame having a less than stellar launch. However, there are times when the developer has the luxury to go back and turn the game into a respectable piece of media, such as No Mans Sky.

A&E

When a videogame redeems itself

• Also referred to as a red tide or an algae bloom, the brilliant blue waves are caused by phytoplankton that emit blue light when disturbed. In previous years the event has been rare to find, occurring sparsely. Recently, primarily during the summer of 2023, bioluminescent waves could be seen splashing the shores of Ventura County.

Features

Bioluminescence: Wonders of the bright blue ocean

• On Sept. 21, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Girls Volleyball took a devastating loss of 3-1 in a league game against Bishop Diego High School. Students, Addi Fallon 25, Zac Crist 24 and Petra Falcocchia 24, show their support with colorful face paint. Many students also dressed to the theme of the game, which was cowboys and cowgirls.

Girls' Volleyball

Girls’ volleyball beat by Bishop Diego 1-3 in hard fought game

• Throughout the city of Ventura, pollution is washed down to the beaches through rivers and gutters, depositing cups, bags and other various trash onto our beaches and into the oceans.

Features

Just how deadly is stormwater runoff?

• The charming exterior of Butter and Fold attracts many customers at all hours of business. From the elegant teal and gold color scheme to the waft of freshly baked breads, it’s impossible to simply pass by without taking a peek inside.

A&E

Butter and Fold: The perfect place to satisfy your pastry cravings this fall

• At the Olivas Links Golf Course, on Sept. 21, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls golf team faced off in a league match against Bishop Diego. The Dragons played well and won the match with an overall score of 249-303. Pictured above, Maddie Wicks 26 concentrates as she putts her ball toward the pin, finishing hole five with three over par.

Girls' Golf

Recap: Girls’ golf takes Bishop Diego 249-303

• On Sept. 22, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) competed in their first Tri-County Athletic (TCAA) league meet. Foothill Tech races with five girls on varsity, including Danika Swanson-Rico 25, Bennett Rodman 26, Kalea Eggertsen 26, Emma Anderson 26 and Isabella Efner 25. They warm-up on the start line, exchanging words of encouragement and waiting for the queue to begin the race.

Cross Country

Cross country starts off strong at first league meet of the 2023 season

• With beloved melodies and nostalgic anthems dating back over a decade, fans and general audience members alike enjoy singing along to her award-winning album, Fearless, from 2008.

A&E

The Eras Tour: an adventure spanning 17 years of music 

• On Sept. 21, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys water polo hosted a home game against their opponent Malibu High School (Malibu). With lots of splashing, Ethan Ortiz 24 attempts to find an open teammate to give Foothill Tech an advantage to win their league match.

Boys' Water Polo

Recap: Boys’ water polo bested by Malibu

• Students of Foothill Tech try to make button pins of their own design at Back to School Night. This college and career class provides an opportunity to learn life skills and creativity.

Latest

Foothill Tech welcomes parents and guardians at Back to School Night 2023

• In the teen show “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” an adaption of the popular Young Adult novel, protagonist Belly Conklin navigates her love life in a triangle between brothers Jeremiah and Conrad Fisher.

A&E

“The Summer I Turned Pretty”: In Defense of the Fisher Boys

• During F.I.R.E and lunch, members of the Associated Student Body worked hard to prepare an assembly line of delicious In-N-Out for the Class of 2024.

Latest

Class of 2024 connects through In-N-Out Burger and festivities

• On the sunny afternoon of Sept. 19, 2023 girls tennis played against the Villanova Preparatory (Villanova) School Wildcats. The tennis team huddles together and chants in a pregame ritual before beginning their matches.

Girls' Tennis

Girls’ tennis triumphs over Villanova in first league match

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the much anticipated sequel to the critically acclaimed and beloved video game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Announced in 2019 by Nintendo at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Tears of the Kingdom was released on May 12, 2023 after nearly four years of waiting. Since its release, the game has been met with widespread acclaim from critics and fans alike. The game directly follows the events of its predecessor, building upon them and expanding an already immense world. Writer Kelly Quinn shares his thoughts.

A&E

“The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom” is victory for gaming

• The three cakes that were reviewed were Lemon, Pumpkin Spice and Red Velvet all topped with a generous amount of cream cheese frosting.

A&E

A dive into Nothing Bundt Cakes: America’s largest specialty cake company

• Comprising of 12 songs, Olivia Rodrigos new album GUTS is her second studio album and was released on Sept. 8, 2023. Rodrigos first studio album, SOUR, released in 2021, was critically acclaimed and beloved by fans, making her second album long anticipated. Writer Isheeta Pal takes on the task of listening to GUTS and reviewing it, delving into its key themes and messaging.

A&E

Album Anatomy: “GUTS”

• A sign displayed in the store highlights the unique vendors in the store as well as promoting shopping from local artists.

A&E

Hey! Friends shows Ventura why shopping locally matters

• Christopher Nolan hits it out of the park once again with his brilliantly done biopic about the man who invented the atom bomb, Oppenheimer.

A&E

“Oppenheimer” is a mind-blowingly impactful film

“Breaking Dawn” delivers heart-pounding thrills

The newest installment of the Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn – Part 1, was released November 18. Credit: Summit Entertainment

“Twi-hards” lined up for hours on end at local movie theaters anticipating the newest release of the Twilight Saga: “Breaking Dawn – Part 1.” In Ventura, lines of people backed up across the streets, buying out most of the showings of the forth installment of highly admired movie franchise. {sidebar id=47}

The people behind “Twilight” found a way to lengthen the anticipation of the conclusion of the series by splitting the final book, “Breaking Dawn,” into two parts. Part two of “Breaking Dawn” is expected to reach theaters late 2012.

I don’t consider myself a huge “Twilight” fan, though I will admit that I have read the books and enjoyed most of them, but the movies have never particularly caught my interest. So, with my low expectations and stubborn opinion, I saw the movie and was pleasantly surprised.

“Breaking Dawn – Part 1” manages to blend the melodrama with the supernatural thrills that attract so many followers. While it has its silly moments and some cringe-worthy dialogue, it delivers an excessive amount of drama and emotional highs that make it easier to watch than the other films in the franchise.

The story begins with Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) preparing to get married.

Despite Bella having the strangest dream anyone can have before their wedding (involving a mountain of dead bodies), the event was extremely elegant and enjoyable for fans who have been waiting so long for it.

What separates “Breaking Dawn – Part 1” from the other movie adaptations is the way that the producers didn’t hold themselves back. They tried to keep your heart racing at all times and keep the drama going for as long as they could.

There were, however, the occasional dry spots where they stretched out a scene far too long, and moments when the actors tried to be way too serious and you just ended up laughing at them. The movie with gruesome scenes and a cliff hanger that leaves the viewer wanting next year to come around quickly.

For the “Twihards” who are very articulate of the accuracy between the book and movie, the movie fared well. Although, it appeared like there was no point in creating two parts. The director seemed to stretch out the first half of the book into two and a half hours, and filled it with awkward situations. When this could’ve been sufficed with one three-hour movie adaptation from the entire last book instead.

If you have seen all the movies linked in the series and completely enjoyed them, you will undoubtedly be pleased with this one. If you have no interest in the series, then perhaps you should look for another film.