Hope College: Chris Waechter (’11)

Credit: Libby Westrate.
    Credit: Libby Westrate.
    Credit: Libby Westrate. Used with permission.

Hope College, a Christian liberal arts institution with several unique qualities, is a school for those with open minds, a drive to learn, and a willingness to meet new people.

To begin with, I have found the city of Holland to be much like Ventura: it’s a tight knit community with incredibly friendly people. The school is extremely focused when it comes to academics. Additionally, students have the opportunity to get to know their professors personally, and are welcome to come into their offices for extra help on homework. It is very easy to get involved with extracurricular activities of all sorts, like joining clubs or participating in intercollegiate sports.

Hope College is labeled a Christian school. However, there are many people who are not religious and chapel services are completely optional. This way, no one feels obligated to do anything they don’t want to. There is nothing I dislike about the college thus far.

The transition from a school like Foothill has been extremely helpful. My experience at Foothill has helped me manage my homework efficiently; classes also feel much shorter. Foothill has definitely prepared me for the rigorous courses I am currently taking. Nevertheless, they are still challenging.