Oklahoma State: Jessica Entreiken (’11)

Credit: Sara Slabbekoorn
    Credit: Sara Slabbekoorn. Used with Permission.

I graduated from Foothill in 2011 and now attend Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK. Oklahoma may appear to be a strange destination, but I wanted to get out of California and see what else there is in our country to offer me; it is actually cheaper in some cases too.

Oklahoma has a hands-on learning business program that interested me. My suggestion for picking a school is to go visit; there is a feeling “that this is the place” you want to be at. I am in the middle of nowhere but it is mellow and everybody is extremely polite here, which I love. Although, it is a little weird not having a Target or a bus system that works past 7pm.

I am in love with all my classes and professors! Foothill classes and staff give you every tool you need for your future. I know how to take notes, write papers in a few hours, analyze readings, and be organized.

It is definitely hard coming from Ventura to Stillwater: I thought Ventura was boring and small but I have never appreciated Ventura more in my life, and I really miss California.  I would be untruthful if I said there are no negatives about being here.  I need to be constantly busy and I am constantly bored because I am not in a sorority and that’s a popular way to get involved here.

Greek life here is serious but I did not join because it costs about $4,000 each semester. I have to get out of the town at least twice a month to not go insane from being in such a small town. On the bright side, this is a learning experience and helping me figure what I want to do with the rest of my life, since I have plenty of time to think in peace.

I recommend Oklahoma State University for anybody who loves the country and Wal-Mart, but primarily those who are interested in a major of agriculture or animal sciences because they have one of the top programs in the country. In addition, our equestrian team is highly ranked along with our football team (which is ranked 2nd in the nation right now). Being here definitely has me involved with the school’s sports programs. The Midwest really does take football as serious as religion.