Aniah McKenzie

Aniah McKenzie

Born in San Diego, California, returning sports writer Aniah McKenzie is starting her second year on the Dragon Press while beginning her junior year. Since last year with

Credit: Rachel Horiuchi/The Foothill Dragon Press

Born in San Diego, California, returning sports writer Aniah McKenzie is starting her second year on the Dragon Press while beginning her junior year. Since last year with the full fledged launch of the sports section, Aniah has watched it develop, and describes the first year as “the hardest part,” which “we’ve gotten past.”After taking Mr. Li’s class as a sophomore, Aniah’s love of writing strengthened, inspiring her to join journalism. Her class was given an assignment to write about anything, which she really enjoyed and prompted her to write more. English is one of her favorite subjects, along with history. Before high school, Aniah played softball, basketball and ran track. Upon entering freshman year, she joined Buena colorguard. “It completely consumes your life. It’s basically selling your soul to the sport,” she said. When she’s not at practice, Aniah follows her passion for music. She listens to a variety of genres including pop and rock, but has a love for classical. She grew up with musically trained aunts and uncles, leading her to pick up a flute in seventh grade. She’s still in the midst of college searching and deciding on a major, but Aniah currently has an interest in pursuing a career in communications.