Christopher Owens discusses inspiration for “Father, Son, Holy Ghost”

Girls, led by Christopher Owens (left) and Chet "JR" White (right) released their new album "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" on September 13. Credit: Creative commons photo by Flickr user stephanchrk.
Girls, led by Christopher Owens (left) and Chet “JR” White (right) released their new album “Father, Son, Holy Ghost” on September 13. Credit: Creative commons photo by Flickr user stephanchrk.

“…to deny the phenomenon that religion is, the role it plays, the reasons it works for people, the power it has, would be entirely foolish. Respect your enemy.” 

– Christopher Owens

Father, Son, Holy Ghost, the second album released by Girls, is not a gospel album by church-going women. The San Francisco based band is actually completely lacking of girls, and instead is led by Christopher Owens and Chet “JR” White.

Along with reviewing the album, I recently got a chance to ask him some questions about his inspirations for the album and his life on the road.

Q: Girls has over five songs with girls’ names, a titling method Elvis Costello used. You’ve been compared to him before, and I hear strong similarities between your music as well.  Is he an influence of yours, stylistically or lyrically? “Alison” is off of the album Girls Girls Girls

A: I’ve never listened to him. “Alison” is the one song I know, which I like, but I only heard that recently. I keep meaning to check him out, but it seems I only have room for one Elvis in my life.{sidebar id=34} 

Q: Father, Son, Holy Ghost ranges in sound from Beach Boys to Spiritualized to Pink Floyd, and although I can pick out these influences, you seem to put a whole new spin to your songs. Is it a conscious decision to modernize these effects in your song writing or does it come naturally? How would you describe your writing process?

A: You can hear the influences because they are just that, influence. When I write it’s an entirely personal thing, and dissociated from the influence. It’s not an impersonation with a new twist. It’s a birth right. “I and my Father are One.”

Q: Your album is titled Father, Son, Holy Ghost, which is derived from the Trinity. What kind of inspiration did you draw from religion for this album?

A: I don’t know. I don’t want to know. The title to me represents; Origin (Father), Identity (Son), and Spirit (Holy Ghost).

Q: Is religion something that you find importance and bliss in, or do you find yourself shunning these types of factions?

A: I’m not religious. But to deny the phenomenon that religion is, the role it plays, the reasons it works for people, the power it has, would be entirely foolish. Respect your enemy.

Q: You have mentioned multiple bands and artists that you maintain friendships with- Vivian GirlsAriel PinkSmith Westerns… Is it difficult to keep up these friendships as you are touring or recording? How does it differ than friendships you have with the everyday person?

A: It is difficult. The relationships just run their course. The test of time requires patience.

Q: Speaking of Smith Westerns, at FYF Fest, JR was wearing the shirt Cullen [Omori] had performed in earlier. Is clothes-swapping an activity you guys often indulge in?

A: Ha! Yes. We’re just very close. We’re all trying to compensate for the great void of love in the world. Smith Westerns are our comrades. Looking for love.