Wrap-Up: Foothill softball loses close game against Santa Clara

Foothill softball lost to Santa Clara 2-4 on Tuesday at Santa Clara High School. They now have a winning record of 10-6 overall and stand 4-2 in the Frontier League.

Freshman Jessica Mendoza had a hit, and two hits that resulted in safe runs.

Senior Monica Mendoza and Freshman Jade Iannacone both scored on Jessica Mendoza’s hit in the first inning.

Iannacone said that the team played best in the first inning because they “were executing the best out of any of the other innings. We scored two runs and, like always, we started off strong and intense.”

Coach Priscilla Rouse-Becker commented on how challenging of a team Santa Clara was.

“Santa Clara is a good ball club. They played a good game against us. Their pitcher threw a two hitter. However, we put our bats on the ball. We had runners in scoring position six out of seven innings,” Rouse-Becker said.

Iannacone said the game was especially stressful because it determined whether the team were second or third place in the Frontier League. If they lose their next game, they won’t qualify for CIF.

“The majority of us played well, [but] some of the team wasn’t focused and didn’t have their head[s] in the game,” Iannaconna said.

Rouse-Becker said the girls had a few errors, “missed a few key signs and had some base running mishaps that made it hard to get ahead in this game.” She believes that if the team “can minimize those elements” they can “start winning tight games against good teams.”