Wrap-Up: Girls’ softball competes against Monroe, Van Nuys in first games of season

Joshua Modglin

On Saturday, the girls’ softball team competed against Monroe High School and Van Nuys High School in their first two games of the spring season.

In the first game, Foothill defeated Monroe with a final score of 9-4.

Coach Priscilla Rouse-Becker believed it was an exciting game.

“The girls had great energy and support for each other,” said Rouse-Becker. “The dugout was the best it had been.”

Freshman and pitcher Jessica Mendoza threw six strikeouts. Senior Shelby Booker hit a triple and senior Monica Mendoza hit a double that, according to Rouse-Becker, “should have been a home run.”

In the second game of the day, Foothill was defeated by Van Nuys with a final score of 3-7.

Rouse-Becker said that the team made “critical errors” that caused the loss, and believes they need to improve on “getting stronger defensively.”  

“We [need to] focus on making routine plays,” said Rouse-Becker. “We will also work to adjust to [opposing] pitchers earlier in the game.”

The girls will play against Santa Paula High School at their first home game of the season on Monday, Mar. 3 at Ventura College.