Recap: Softball takes 8-1 loss against Fillmore

Abby Sourwine

Softball differs from other team sports in its reliance on individual performance, especially in the area of batting. The momentum of the game falls solely on the batter, and the rest of the team can do nothing but cheer and hope. In their game against Fillmore on Tuesday, April 17, Foothill Tech’s varsity softball team struggled at the plate and on the field, leading to an 8-1 loss against the Flashes.

Sammy Fenton ‘20 noted that there wasn’t any one particular thing that led to the lossthey just gradually gave away more and more runs until, eventually, they lost.

“I wouldn’t say that they’re super amazing and going to blow anyone away but they’re a good team, but I think we are, too,” she said. “We just didn’t play very good.”

Her teammate Isabel Gallegos ’19 agreed that the team had “a lot of errors” on defense, but thinks that as the team’s chemistry improves, their fielding will improve with it. 

The box score shows the score of the game, inning by inning. Credit: Abby Sourwine / The Foothill Dragon Press

Gallegos thinks that “practicing more together and becoming more comfortable” with each other will help the team grow closer.

The combination of the “power hitters” on Fillmore’s team, the fielding errors on Foothill’s part, and the high number of strikeouts led to the 8-1 loss. Foothill hopes to bounce back later this week when they face Santa Paula at Ventura College on Thursday, April 19 at 3:30 p.m.

Abby Sourwine, Reporter

Third year sports writer, senior, optimist and female embodiment of Ted Mosby.