2015 ASB elections: an interview with the candidates

Credit: Josh Ren / The Foothill Dragon Press

Sienna Romero

Credit: Austin Hunt/The Foothill Dragon Press

Emily Marostica

Grade: Junior

Age: 16 years old

ASB experience: 3 years

Why are you running for this position?
I am running for ASB president because I want to change how the student body sees. A lot of the time, especially this year, the study body has been really critical of ASB and everything we do. Being in ASB is really hard, and I don’t think people understand that. They think that we just plan events and are really wishy washy. I really want to change that opinion and we are really student oriented and we do things for the student body, not against them.

What positions have you held in the past?
Study body relations director and Junior Class President

What would be your top priority if you were to be elected?
My top priority would be to integrate sports more. I know this year we tried as hard as we could, but I think it’s still not getting the recognition it needs. We have a lot of kids playing sports right now and I think they need to be recognized more. It’s awesome what they are doing, especially juggling academics, and this school is so grade oriented. If we involve sports more, it could be an amazing thing.

What leadership skills have you developed in your time in ASB?
I am able to communicate well with others and before ASB I was kind of a straggler, I didn’t really stand out but I have learned that participation is key and knowing when to be a leader and knowing when to be a follower. It’s all about knowing what you need to do and when you need to step back and realize that you are a leader, but the student body comes before you.

Why do you deserve to hold this position?
I am really dedicated to ASB and I don’t have really anything else going on. ASB has turned into my life. I’ve dedicated my whole high school career to ASB, I can’t imagine not being in ASB and I feel like I have that momentum to keep everyone else going.

Why should people vote for you?
Vote for me because you want to, not because you feel pressured to. Vote for me because you actually like what I am doing and feel confident in me being ASB president.

Cody Clark

Age: 16 years old

Grade: Junior

ASB experience: 5 years of (middle school)

Why are you running for this position?
I’ve always wanted to go for this position, since freshman year because I have always had a passion for leadership and I love all the classes I have been in with different types of leadership. I also thought it would be cool to implement my ideas through the ASB presidency.

I have been lunchtime activities director, which is air guitar. I’ve done freshman rep, basically freshman president, where I was in charge of Mr. Foothill. I am currently junior class secretary.

I actually have two and they are part of my campaign. First, the involvement in sports. I want to reward the student athletes. But I want to keep academics above sports, because that what the school focuses on. Also, I want to unite the school. I feel like Foothill is kind of cliquey but at the same time it’s not, it’s way better than any other school. But I want to make that bonding stronger.

I have developed time management, how to work under pressure, speaking in front of people, and thinking more creatively.

I feel like I deserve this position because I am very hard working and I feel like I am right for the job because I can get everything done. I am very close with many types of groups on campus, I feel like it would be easy to unite them, if I were president. I am a strong leader.

Why should people vote for you?
People should vote for me if they are involved in sports and feel they are not recognized as much as they should be. Also if students feel like ASB is distant and do not understand what is completely going on in our class because I feel like I could clear it up. Even if it’s not for me, vote, because your voice should be heard and have a say on what goes on in this campus.

Noah Greenslit

Age: 16 years old

Grade: Junior

ASB experience: 1.5 years

Why are you running for this position?
I am running for this position because I feel like I am capable for the job and I feel like it’s a nice job that could fit me. I wanted to be ASB vice president for the renaissance as well, because I feel like the point of view of renaissance from the student body could improve. I feel like it would just be fun as well.

My sophomore year, I was the sophomore vice president. This year, I am the junior vice president.

My top priority would to get 90 percent of the student body on renaissance.

In ASB my sophomore year being vice president, I feel like I had to help more than lead. Same for this year, with the junior vice presidency. So, it’s more like helping rather than leading.

I feel like I deserve this position because I am capable for the job and I have recent experience doing it as well.

Why should people vote for you?
I feel like people should vote for me because I have been sophomore vice president and junior vice president. I feel like the student body would be comfortable to vote for me because I have had those positions in the past.