Wrap-Up: Girls’ water polo defeats Oxnard High 11-9

On Thursday, the Foothill girls’ water polo team competed against Oxnard High School. Foothill defeated Oxnard with a final score of 11-9.

Senior Ariana Singer led Foothill’s scoring with four goals and sophomore Lezly Plahn scored twice. Both sophomore Meagan McKillican and freshman Josie Thorp scored twice.

According to coach Samantha Ebberson, “it was their best game to date.”

“They didn’t slow down for anyone and they pushed hard through the entire game,” said Ebberson.

In the final quarter of the game, Ebberson said “Oxnard was coming out strong.”

“[Oxnard was] trying to come back to win the game but the girls never let up. They wanted the win and they went out and got it,” said Ebberson.

“The girls spread out throughout the entire pool in the last 30 seconds of the game as Oxnard pressed hard and the girls just controlled the game.”

Even with their winning streak of eleven games, Ebberson still believes that the team could still improve on “hitting corners,” or improving the accuracy of their shooting.

Ebberson added how proud she was of the team because of their humility.

“These girls have never lost a game and they stay so humble about it,” said Ebberson. “They know they still have stuff to work on and they are willing to put in the effort. It’s such an amazing thing to witness.”

Foothill has a league record of three wins and zero losses, with 11 wins and zero losses total.

The girls will compete in a tournament hosted by Diamond Bar High School on Friday and Saturday. Ebberson hopes to win the first game of the tournament.

“It’s the most important to us going against the number two team in CIF in our division,” said Ebberson. “To have this opportunity is huge. We will take each game as it comes and just go one by one.”