Adele’s “21” is shallow, but bold

Credit: Columbia Records
Credit: Columbia Records
Credit: Columbia Records

With her thunderous passion and vocal ability, Adele has created by far one of the best pop albums in years with her newest album. In her album “21”, released Tuesday, Adele spills her soul in 11 four minute increments.

With the persistent themes of heartbreak, unrequited love, and regret, the songs on “21” had the potential to be just like any other ballad commonly heard on the radio. But what sets this album apart from those records is Adele’s incredibly powerful voice.

As her words speak of love and heartache, Adele uses a bold yet sultry voice to articulate the message of her song.

Songs like her lead single, “Rolling in the Deep” showcase this passion. While you can hear her pain in the lyrics, you can also feel it as her voice rises and falls in a beautifully melodic rollercoaster.

The same emotion is conveyed throughout the rest of the album but is even more apparent in stand out songs like “One and Only” and “Don’t You Remember” where her voice isn’t competing with overpowering instrumentals.

Adele notably conquers the challenge of covering a famous song when she slows down “Lovesong” by The Cure. While the original is a great song in its own right, Adele’s version surpasses it with tenderness and delightfully updates the song into one suited for today’s radio.

By far, the best song on the album is “Someone Like You” which tells Adele’s story of being hopelessly in love with her ex-boyfriend and the struggle she faces in trying to move on. Once again her voice tells the story better than the words themselves. Her perfect inflection and tenderness articulate to the listener how hard moving on is.

When listening to this album it is impossible to let your mind drift away from her voice, and, while her songs aren’t impossible to listen to, they in no way match her superb vocal ability.

If Adele is looking for a way to make her album into something that demands to be listened to, her lyrics should be the first change. The world is definitely not in need of anymore cliché songs about being painfully in love, so a whole album consisting of nothing but this is pure overkill.

Though her songs are in no way ingenious, the undeniable power and passion behind her voice make this album something worth listening to.

I give this album a 6/10.