New obligation-free fundraiser brings high hopes to Foothill ASB

Credit: Josh Ren/The Foothill Dragon Press

Sienna Romero

The new Foothill obligation-free fundraiser, the Great American, was presented by Foothill’s Associated Student Body (ASB) on Wednesday.

The new fundraiser is a catalogue that has merchandise related to the holiday season. It also offers online products, prizes, and ways to fundraise nationally.

Forty percent of the income raised from the catalogue will go back to the school. ASB adviser Melanie “Captain” Lindsey would like students to raise $60,000 to get a fund of approximately $25,000 for the school.

“That is a big, big goal,” Lindsey said. “But it would make next year epic.”

According to Lindsey, the catalogue was chosen because of it’s versatility.

“There is pretty much something for every single person that could want to buy something,” Lindsey said.

Online, students can buy food including candy and “gourmet popcorn” that do not follow district nutrition guidelines. Lindsey said these items are allowed to be sold after 3:30 pm.

“Between the hours of midnight and 3:30 pm, you are not allowed to sell anything as a fundraiser that does not meet the nutritional guidelines. After 3:30 [pm] and between 11:59 pm, those guidelines are not in place, you can sell other stuff,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey said she could not find a fundraiser that did not have items that broke the nutrition guidelines. Instead, she had the food items taken out of the catalogue.

“It is nowhere in the catalogue given to the kids,” Lindsey said. “We are not encouraging the sale of that stuff, because we are not allowed to.”

Lindsey said the regulations do not apply to the adults buying items online.

“Adults can buy whatever they want online, they are adults,” she said.

Since her first year of being ASB adviser, Lindsey saw a $3,000 decrease in funds from the coupon books.

“We knew that we were not doing coupon books ever again,” she said.

In previous years, the coupon books left students in debt and agitated after the fundraising.

Biology and conceptual physics teacher Macie Vega has been distributing the coupon book since her first year at Foothill.

“With the coupon books, the first year I was here I thought it was really fun and exciting. But then as I went on, I realized that students did not like selling them and some of the students were frustrated with getting obligations,” she said.

Junior and ASB member Lauren Dalmatoff worked with ASB in the distribution of the coupon books in previous years.

“It was a complicated process and it was difficult to keep track of each student and how many coupon books they took,” Lauren said.

Junior Klio Matthews-Irby liked the coupon books and only saw a flaw in the student’s participation.

“I feel bad for the school that they had to result to the new fundraiser because I think  people in the community would rather buy coupon books. It’s just that the students were not selling them that’s the problem,” she said.

The new fundraiser does not obligate students to a specific amount of money.

Because of the students participation in years prior, Dalmatoff did not want to get high expectations.

“I have high hopes but not expectations, I think it has a lot of potential but the first year no one really understands it,” Dalmatoff said.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/171858748″ params=”color=a02f25&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Foothill was notified on Sunday that they cannot charge for parking any longer, due to district regulations. This resulted in a loss of $8,000 for ASB, which they are hoping to raise back with the new fundraiser.

Clark explained the steps ASB will take if the money cannot be raised from the new fundraiser.

“What we do is take a little bit [of money] from everything, instead of completely eliminating one thing,” he said.

Matthews-Irby said she felt passionately on the lack of effort from her peers.

“That sucks that they are not going to care, because us kids should realize that we need to help our school out in these harsh times,” she said.

Vega said that students need more transparency to be motivated to donate.

“I think, for students to really want to help, it would be really helpful for them to know where exactly the money is going,” she said.

Art teacher Francis Frazier sees a flaw in the regulations and lack of funding from the government.

“Coming from a department that relies on the donation of people to run, I think it’s really silly that there are all these regulations,” Frazier said.

“You can’t have it both ways. The government does not give us enough money to actually fund what we need to do in education, but then they put all these restrictions on us,” he said.

“I don’t think that the students should have to work and fundraise for their school. Education is supposed to be free, so we cannot ask for donations, but at the same time the students are expected to work? That’s ludicrous.”

Background Photo Credit: Julie Knowles/The Foothill Dragon Press