Ema Dorsey

Ema Dorsey

Credit: Josh Ren and Austin Hunt/The Foothill Dragon Press

Ema Dorsey

EmaDorsey

Credit: Josh Ren/The Foothill Dragon Press

Senior and third-year staffer Ema Dorsey was roped into journalism by one well known and loved symbol of the class: donuts. After she saw them on Journalism Adviser Melissa Wantz’s desk, she knew journalism was for her. For Dorsey, writing for the features section is a way for to learn about the lives of others on campus. This year, Ema is the features editor, but will still continue to produce work on the Dragon Press for her section. In particular, she said she enjoys writing “lighthearted” features, such as those about siblings on campus or new teachers. As well as being involved in journalism, Ema is also passionate about art. She took Advanced Placement (AP) Art last year, which got her back into doodling after a long hiatus. An active artist as a kid, Ema stopped creating art for several years as she became more interested in academics, but now says art is something she’d like to continue throughout her life. Outside of school, Ema has had a commitment since eighth grade to the Santa Barbara Channel Keepers as a part of their “Stream Team,” which takes and tests water samples in Ventura rivers. As for academics, Ema also is an AP student who is well-known by her peers for her work ethic and strong grades. Although she enjoys the process of learning, she describes her relationship with AP as “hate-hate.” Every summer, Ema returns to Japan to visit her mom’s side of the family. She enjoys spending time in her summer house, walking on the beach, and relaxing after a stressful school year.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/167148726?secret_token=s-LZeom” params=”color=ff0000&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]