Plug pulled on brothers’ edgy rap act (video)

Photo: Kollin King rapping at Foothill's Back-to-School Night before assistant principal LaSonja Brown stopped the performance. Lauren Parrino/The Foothill Dragon Press.What started out as an entertaining rap during Foothill's Back-to-School Night Wednesday ended with sophomores Kollin and Konner "KJ" King's original performance being shut down in front of parents, staff and students.

"They hinted at the f-word and that is not appropriate at any school event so their act was canceled," Foothill's Assistant Principal LaSonja Brown explained.

"She [Brown] came up to him [K.J] and said something but I kept going and then they cut my mic," said Kollin.

The line that instigated the intervention was, "I'll do whatever the —- I please."  Though the expletive was suggested, KJ never actually said the f-word.

"Things we read in class have legitimate swearing so it doesn't make sense for them to be pulled off for not even saying anything," said junior Aron Egelko, who thought it was "ridiculous" that the act was interrupted.

Every song that was performed at the event was submitted prior to the evening and had to receive approval from Brown. The Kings submitted a song, but after getting Brown's approval, they added lyrics to it.

"So we added a line," KJ said, "it had passionate meaning."

Kollin, who edits their songs, said of the line, "the song would be different without it; it would lose the sense of rebellion and anger."

The Kings co-wrote the rap, called "Live Free", and KJ composed original music to accompany the lyrics. Kollin has been writing since 7th grade and KJ has been playing the keyboard for about two years.

"They absolutely deserved to be pulled off stage," said junior Elizabeth "Izzy" Znamenacek, "there are rules at our school, and if you want to rap like that you have to go somewhere else."

But the Kings feel that it has violated their free-speech rights since they didn't actually say the word.

"We like to be passionate and I believe that we should be able to say what we want. It's all about art and the freedom of speech," said Kollin.

The Kings said that Brown told them that it was highly likely they would receive further punishment. However, Brown declined to comment further on the matter.

Editor's Note: The King's rap was called "Live Free", not "Live Freak", and has been changed as of 3:09 pm Sept. 30, 2010.

{m4v width="500" height="400"}Kollin_Koner Rap Show{/m4v}