Simple, vegetarian-friendly recipe for quinoa feta salad

This quinoa feta salad is sure to satisfy anyone’s healthy cravings. Credit: Kienna Kulzer/The Foothill Dragon Press

Don’t be put off by its strange appearance. Quinoa tastes great and has received more attention in recent years for its health benefits. It can be an especially good option for vegans and vegetarians, providing much more protein than other types of grains, but it also works well with many other recipes that include meat. Similar to rice in texture, quinoa works well with many different seasonings and preparations, and there are many great recipes to try. This recipe requires pretty minimal preparation and is great for a simple family dinner.

You will need:

2 cups of water

This quinoa feta salad is sure to satisfy anyone's healthy cravings. Credit: Kienna Kulzer/The Foothill Dragon Press

1 cup quinoa

¼ cup lemon juice

3 tablespoons basil pesto

2 cups fresh or thawed shelled Edamame

2 cups cherry tomato

⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese

⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

¼ teaspoon black pepper

Optional:

Tofu, fish, or grilled lean chicken

To Make:

1. Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan and add in the quinoa. Reduce the heat to a low setting and let it simmer for 20 minutes until all of the water is absorbed, then remove from heat.

2. Whisk together the lemon juice and pesto in a separate bowl. Set aside.

3. Add the edamame, green onions, minced parsley, black pepper, feta cheese, and tomatoes in with the quinoa.

4. Add the whisked lemon juice and pesto in with the rest of the ingredients. Toss to mix everything together and serve.

5. To pack in some extra protein, you can also add in tofu, fish, or grilled chicken. 

6. Enjoy!