For the athletes: The “sporty” look made simple

You can capture the sporty look by pairing a cute Patagonia jacket with leggings or yoga pants. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

With the new year comes a newfound desire for a lot of people to workout. People start to focus on how much – or how little – they exercise. This leads to the sporty trend that we see around school.

Some people associate sporty with “sloppy,” but it doesn’t have to be this way. If worn the right way, the sporty look can be one of the cutest and most popular looks around.

Girls: It’s easy to make a sporty outfit cute. A simple pair of yoga pants, a plain tank top or t-shirt, a cute zip-up jacket, and running shoes or flip flops makes a sporty look casual. If yoga pants don’t sound appealing, you can always wear sweats with the same outfit or with a sweatshirt.

Junior Maddie Kirkegaard thinks that sporty attire looks comfortable, and she really likes how running tights and running shorts look.

Boys: Basketball shorts and a fitted t-shirt like a slight v-neck with converse or vans achieves the sporty look without looking like you just rolled out of bed. If it’s colder, you can wear sweatpants instead of basketball shorts, or throw on a sweatshirt.

“Just put on shorts and either a high school or college team shirt,” freshman Rico Stubbs said.

Nike and Adidas are two very popular brands; not only are they known for their shoes but also their clothing. Nike and Adidas are competitors and their popularity changes depending on what sport people play and their own fashion sense.

Kirkegaard said, “I would choose Nike over Adidas, I’ve seen their running shoes and I like the way they look more than Adidas ones. I like their running shorts too.”

Nike and Adidas brands both have bright and vibrant colors. Nike is sleek and clean cut, while Adidas tends to be on the bulky side. Clothing and shoes from each brand can be worn to make a sporty outfit cute and fashionable.

However active you are, sporty gear can be a comfortable, easy and cute way to dress.