Obsession with Good Teaching Practices and Students Mastering the Material

I take a bit of offense at the comment that we are “calling attention to [our]self as a nerdy school with [our] obsession over high test scores”. I have been at Foothill for 10 years now. We have an obsession with good teaching practices, motivating and encouraging student learning, providing support to students as needed to help them succeed in a rigorous curriculum, meeting the teaching of the standards as set by the state, meeting educational goals as imposed by the federal government, and making sure that our community recognizes the progress our school and our students are making in those areas. We talk about “test scores” twice per year, once before STATE testing occurs in the spring and once when we get our results in the fall. We obsess about the fact that our students have proven to outside parties that they have mastered the standards that have been set for them as a positive reflection on how our unique curriculum and educational program works. The outside world obsesses about test scores…we obsess on helping kids learn whatever is set for them to master.