“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2:” For the kids only

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" is a great movie, but was clearly directed towards an audience of children. Credit: Columbia Pictures
“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2” is a great movie, but was clearly directed towards an audience of children. Credit: Columbia Pictures

Can you achieve your dreams? 

A child, Flint Lockwood, voiced by Bill Hader, is asked this in the opening sequence of “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.” The little boy nods yes.

“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is Sony Pictures’ sequel to their 2009 film “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

The sequel to the blockbuster film is not catered to the same audience. I thought it was still enjoyable even though it seemed to be more for younger kids than the first one.

Though this film is a sequel, viewers need not have seen the first film to enjoy and understand the sequel. The new film summarizes the first film in the first ten minutes of the movie and then it picks up at the exact point the last film left off.

The FLDSMDFR, the machine that produced food out of water in the first movie, has started up again and it’s up to Flint, the crazy haired, pathetic inventor from the first film, to stop it. Along with his ragtag team of friends, he ventures into his beloved hometown to save it from the “foodnimals,” or animals made of food that the FLDSMDFR has begun making.

At this point in the film, it gets interesting. There is adventure and fear, but the first part of the movie is boring for teenagers. The film would have been an all around lovable movie for all ages if the filmmakers had made the first half as creative and interesting as the second.

The creativity it took to create this film was absolutely astounding; it made a possibly horrible sequel good. It is a must see for the food fight between humans and food at the end and the ridiculous food puns, like “shrimpanzees.”

Though the creativity and innovation may be enjoyed by all ages, the humor and puns they used in the film, like saying “This is going to be a piece of cake,” while a foodnimal cake walks by, make it more of a children’s movie than the first one.

The first half of the film revolves around Flint Lockwood’s dream to be a “real inventor” and his quest to achieve this at Live Corporation, the place where all the “real inventors” work.

“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2″ is directed to an audience of children, while the whole family could have easily enjoyed the first movie. However, the sequel was not as much fun to watch, and I caught myself getting bored until the plot picked up and they went back to the foodnimal-invested island.

“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2″ is the perfect film for kids and their parents. But teens- don’t spend $9.75 on this film. You will most likely get bored or irritated at its childish humor.