As autumn slowly takes place, pumpkins take the spotlight for their use in festivities and the more recent pumpkin-spice products. This season, celebrate a few other fruits in season with the delicious and healthy pear and apple smoothie. The smoothie is very simple to prepare, and can be made to satiate your fruit cravings at any time of the day, while simultaneously providing an excellent source of Vitamin C and K, important for your immune system and cell growth.
- 2 pears
- 1 apple (red or yellow is recommended)
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 cups baby spinach (can substitute for another leafy green)
- ½ cup water
- Cut the apples and pears into small chunks (it is recommended to peel them)
- Put the apples, pears and 2 cups of baby spinach into the blender
- Add a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon into the blender
- Add a ½ cup water into the blender
- Blend until it reaches the desired thickness
When creating the smoothie, you can change it up to match your preference. If you prefer a more fruity taste, consider adding more pears and apples, or even substituting water for fruit juice. If you prefer a thicker smoothie, use ice cubes instead of water.
Additionally, a smoothie can be served at almost anytime of the day. Whether you decide you would like a morning boost or end the day off with a dessert, this smoothie can satisfy your cravings. You can also save them for lunch by freezing them overnight.
Featured Photo Credit: Sinjin Serrano/The Foothill Dragon Press